Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Roasted Potatoes with Pumpkin Seed-Arugula Pesto and Peas

Ok, I'll admit that I'm not actually that original - I tried yummy roasted pesto-potatoes at this restaurant in Victoria, and I thought to myself, "I could do this at home pretty easily," and then I did. And I got the idea for making arugula pesto from this recipe - I love basil pesto as much as the next person, but I can't grow basil in my garden and it's kind of expensive to buy. But the rest is all me.

This is great pretty much any time of day - as a breakfast side dish, a dinner side dish, or a snack. And the pesto on its own makes a yummy sandwich spread.


Roasted Potatoes with Pumpkin Seed-Arugula Pesto and Peas

The Pesto part:

½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)
¼ cup nutritional yeast
3 cloves garlic, sliced
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 large bunch of arugula

Toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry skillet for a couple of minutes (until they start to color), then grind them in a food processor. Add all the other ingredients except arugula and blend until very smooth, then add the arugula and blend again.

The Potato and Pea part:

1 1/2 - 2 lbs potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks (I used halved baby potatoes)
1/2 cup pumpkin seed-arugula pesto
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste (depends on the saltiness of the pesto)
freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 cup fresh or frozen peas

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss the potatoes, the 3 tablespoons pumpkin seed-arugula pesto, olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread on a lightly oiled baking dish and bake for 30 minutes, tossing every 10-15 minutes. Add the peas, toss, and bake for another 15-20 minutes, until golden and tender.

Pestotatoes, anyone?

6 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious I might make that for the next potluck I go to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pesto sounds super yummy. Arugula works great in a pesto, I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness that looks so good! Pesto is the besto! Awesome recipe! Good to know that you are always making amazing things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so good! I love the combination of potatoes and peas and potatoes and pesto! And pumpkin seeds are just my favourite seeds. Just had them for breakfast today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok... angela, first, i thought it was a bit lazy to have only 2 posts for the month of july... but these potatoes are AMAZING! DELICIEUSES!!! I,m thinking of becoming vegan... ok... not really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete